Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Why College is so much more stressful than High School

Yeah, yeah, long title, I know.

Well, I'm working on my English rough draft. Earlier today my ICS program did the impossible: It did what I wanted it to do half a day before the deadline.

Freaky.

Anyway it occured to me why college is so much more stressful and difficult than High School.

You see, High school gives you more classes, true, but College classes are harder. They sort of balance out really. However, one element comes into play that gives college the edge.

Scheduling.

You see, in high school there's about 100-150 classes being taught. Of course, most of those are taught many times during the day, and freshmen rarely take classes with seniors. So its pretty easy to figure out when classmates have five tests on one day. Since high school teachers are mostly softies (no offense, Tom Jones and Flojo :) ), they'll often reschedule their tests and projects around tests and projects from other classes. I really only had a max of two, rarely three, tests or projects due on the same day. And I mean rarely. Almost never. And there was a major thing pretty much every week, so that kept the stress up. Also, tests were easy cause they were ususally just on the last two weeks material.

Heh, I wish.

College is different. On any given day, excluding a few days right around the beginning of class and finals, there's a dozen tests/projects going on/due. Take a typical lecture hall of 150. One of them probably has a test or a project on any given day.

Thus, teachers don't even try to reschedule. They know someone is going to have a nightmare day, no matter what day they try to schedule it. So they don't even try.

I dunno, this made much more sense in my mind.

But then I saw a bear cub and cougar cub duking it out with each other, and Leno, and probably forgot about half of what I meant.

"Go for the Jugular! Kill 'im! No, not the bear!"

And now I must quote the eternal words of the Sword Coast's, and Faerun's, greatest hero:

"GO FOR THE EYE'S BOO! GO FOR THE EYE'S! YAAAAAAH!"

Minsc, gotta love 'em :).

(for those who don't know, Minsc is the best character in the Baldur's Gate saga, a video game based on Forgotten Realms ADD 2nd Edition. An adventurer who's taken a few too many bumps on the head, and believes that his hamster, Boo, is a "giant minature space-time hamster."

Yeah.

Fun :).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home