Sunday, February 02, 2003

Columbia

When I heard about the Columbia crash, I was a bit shocked.

I was like "Wow..."

Then I got over it. I'm deeply saddened by the loss of seven brilliant people, by the loss of a amazing piece of machinery and technology (hey, the shuttles are VERY cool). I'm not so amazingly shocked that I cried over it.

Either 9/11 desensitized me to these little tragedies (extremely possible), or the massive media scramble has tuned me out of it.

I look at the news section of My Yahoo, and I see the top two articles are about Columbia.

Makes sense. They are about different things. (Remains and the Heat Spike)

Turn on CNN, and I'd bet you'd see continuing coverage...

I know why the media does this. The media probably doesn't care a lot about the seven people who died. Yes its horrible, but there are millions of people who die who don't get this kind of coverage. The media is concerned with the shuttle itself. A shuttle blew up for the first time in about 17-18 years.

I suppose another reason I'm not tearing up is because its not a spectacular explosion. It more came apart.

Its bad, but its not horrible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home