Tuesday, May 18, 2004

ABC's New Fall Lineup!

Clicky Clicky!

One show I would like to rant about, if I may:

-------------------------

"Life As We Know It" (one-hour drama, Thursday, 9:00-10:00 p.m., ET) -- They say teenage boys think about sex every 15 seconds. That's 240 times an hour. And in between they cram everything else: Cheating moms. Interfering dads. Sex. Secret crushes. Pop quizzes. Sex. Clueless teachers. School cliques. Sex. It's enough to make a kid's head explode.

Melvin Burgess' breakthrough novel is the basis for this series about three hormone-charged teenage boys who are trying to do something even harder than losing their virginity, and that's to grow up without totally freaking out. There's Dino, the handsome jock with the secret sensitive side; Jonathan, the artist who sees life through a camera lens; and Ben, the straight-A student who still can't make his parents happy. You know them. You grew up with them. Maybe you were them.

This coming of age drama in the tradition of "Stand By Me" and "The Outsiders" comes to ABC from the writers of "Freaks & Geeks" and "Just Shoot Me."

-------------------------

First off, teenage boys do not think about sex once every 15 seconds. I should know. I was/am one. ASSUMING THE STAT IS ACCURATE, we think about sex for an average of once per fifteen seconds. Its not like in the middle of algebra we're thinking about sex spontaneously. That would've been very disturbing for me, since I had a pretty old woman teaching my algebra class.

*shudder*

Just felt like shooting that part out of the water.

Now lets move on to the characters...

Dino: Wow, a handsome jock who is also sensitive! That's amazingly rare!

Except for pretty much half of the athletes at my high school...

Yeah.

5 bucks that this character will be an idiot.

Johnathan: Never met one of these guys. Its just a crappy one-dimensional stereotype that movies and TV use to create a secondary character.

Another 5 bucks that Johnathan will struggle in all other subjects besides art. And that his camera will break within the first three episodes.

...

Ben: First off, this is such a tired character template that its not even useful anymore. My psychic, err, that is sarcastic, powers tell me that he will be pathetic in sports and probably be picked on until he befriends the jock.

And all of the main characters are white.

God, POWER RANGERS had better characters than this group!

And now we get to the OTHER stereotypes:

Pop Quizzes: Almost never had them.

Clueless teachers: Excluding my first Spanish teacher, who lasted a couple weeks and was fired when she did not notice that a student was smoking pot in her class, I never had any. Teachers get paid crap, so they do their jobs because they love them. They aren't clueless, not by a long shot. I might be wrong about schools in general, but I don't really think so. Call it another of my patented hunches.

School cliques: I guess these existed, but not really pronounced. Closest we came in LAHS was club cliques. Certaintly nothing exclusionary as a rule. But I might be wrong.

And do you know how else I know its gonna suck?

Its up against both CSI, the highest rated show in that time slot, and WWE Smackdown, UPN's highest rated show (either that or Enterprise) which takes up a lot of the teenage male audience that isn't watching CSI or playing computer games. And The Apprentice 2 is in that time slot. Its like they're saying to themselves "Okay, the show sucks, but we need to fill in the time slot o' death, so lets toss it there and see if it has a chance."

I'll be suprised if it lasts a month.

Oh, and you just KNOW Blind Justice is gonna suck. Badly. Really Badly.

[/rant]

God, I'm starting to sound like my sister...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home