Sunday, November 14, 2004

November Gaming

I went to my mailbox today and found my copy of Electronic Gaming Magazine waiting for me.

Happy time!

Just looking at the front cover shows how rediculous november has become for gaming.

They reviewed Halo 2 (10/10/10), GTA San Andreas (10/10/10), Metroid Prime: Echoes (9/9/10), Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (9/9.5/10), X-Men Legends (7.5/7/8), Viewtiful Joe 2 (8/8/8.5), Need For Speed Underground 2 (8/9/8), LOTR: The Third Age (7/7/5), Blood Rayne 2 (7.5/7.5/4), The Urbz: Sims in the City (7.5/5/7), Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War (8/8/8), Jak 3 (8/8/8.5), Rachet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal (9/9/10), Killzone (7.5/8/7), and Mario Power Tennis (9/7.5/8).

Two of the games earned Platinum awards (perfect 10/10/10), three got gold (9 or better average score), and six drew silver (average of 8 or better).

Oh, and more are coming later in the month, and in December...

I understand the need for the gaming industry to get people to buy lots and lots of games duing the chris- er, holiday, but this is overkill. The list above isn't a full list, either. There were over 40 pages of reviews in the magazine. Those are just the major games being released, for which the publishers have high enough hopes to being pounding them into the gamers minds either through advertisements or through segments on various G4TechTV shows.

Oh, and this is only the console games. Can't forget about Half Life 2, oh no...

All I'm saying is that spacing out the games a... lot might be a bit more condusive to sales. Me, I'm only looking at three games, maybe four, this winter. At most. Any really good games that I miss I'll probably pick up in the later months, cause, you know, PEOPLE DO BUY GAMES OUTSIDE OF NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER!

This oversaturation is rediculous. There's this huge summertime market that's wide open. Students are getting out of school and they have more time on their hands. Why not try to throw a few thousand games into June and July?

Now I must disconnect my computer from the internet so I can go kill stuff in Halo 2. The game rocks so much that I don't care about the hassle!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home