Friday, December 05, 2003

Enrollment...

Now, first off, the fact I'm making an entire entry on this is a bad sign in of itself...

Optimistically, enrolling in your classes should take you 15 minutes, max. Especially when you spent a half hour the previous day picking your classes and their times.

I just finished, and I was doing it for 45 minutes...

My original classes were gonna be these:

ICS H22 (honors Java programming)
Math 6B (Boolean Algebra/Logic)
Phyiscs 7B (Classic Physics, part deux)
Writing 39B (initial Writing class for those competent)

Well, the ICS and Math classes went off without a hitch. Yay.

Then comes the fun.

All of the writing classes were filled up, but there were a few on waitlist. So I went after one of the waitlisted ones and I'm fourth in line on the waitlist. I'm not optimistic about my chances of getting into it.

Then I look at the Physics class (I was checking on these before I was able to sign up). I find out that there are plenty of slots remaining on my lecture, something like 50.

Then I look at the lab. The labs are separate from the actual Physics class, btw.

All of the labs are either waitlisted or full, except for one that I can't use thanks to my ICS lab (which can't be moved). WHY they would have an unequal number of lecture and lab slots is beyond me.

Physics is only gonna be a breadth requirement, so I'm not in real trouble. So I start to look around for another class to fill its slot. I have a sheet with me that shows all of the breadth requirement classes at UCI. Its a 4 page document (2 pages front and back), and I start to look around for something I can take.

Now, I avoid the upper-division classes, as I don't want to try one of them quite yet. Maybe next quarter, or next year.

I can't find squat. And I have to have another class.

You see, I can't depend on that I'll get into the writing class I have waitlisted. And ICS and Math only give me 10 units, which is 2 less than I need to be a full time student.

Eventually, after finding out that half of the classes on the sheet are major only, and about two-thirds of them require pre-reqs that I can't take yet, and almost all the rest are either filled up or are during another time, I find Sociology 63, race and ethnicity.

I'm desperate.

I believe my exact words were "Why not?"

So I signed up, and now I'm all ready for the winter quarter, with these classes:

ICS H22
Math 6B
Writing 39B (maybe...)
Sociology 63

Oh, yeah, finals are next week.

*whimper*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home