Wednesday, October 29, 2003

I hate Scheme.

Reason #210: awkward mathematical and comparative grammar. For everyone in the world, basically, the way you do math or compare arguments is argument operator argument (like a+b or a>b), not operator argument argument (like (+ a b) or (< a b)).

Not only is it amazingly illogical and actually a bit inefficent, it also is horribly confusing.

Take my midterm, where I got an 88, losing 6 percent because of this code:

(define valid-word?
(lambda (d)
(and
(< 0 (word-count d))
(> 41 (word-count d)))))

Supposedly, it would always return a value of false because there's no way any number could be greater than 41 and less than 0.

But wait, read that code again folks!

I got it right. The reader messed up, and I spent a week thinking I got a B+ on my midterm when I really should've gotten a 94.

Well, that's changed. Error corrected, score changed, and now I aced the midterm.

And I hate scheme for making me think I didn't >:(.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home